The VLSI Lab teaches theory and practice for the design and manufacture of highly integrated circuits or VLSI systems (very large scale integration).
Theory teaching contents:
- Introduction to microelectronics and VLSI design
- Design process of VLSI circuits
- Review of the physical basics of semiconductor technology
- Integrated circuit-manufacturing technologies
- Standard processes of IC manufacturing
- Design of CMOS circuits (analog and digital)
Practice teaching contents (project oriented):
In the VLSI Design seminar in the Master's program of Electrical Engineering Information Technology, a mixed-signal IC is designed, i.e. an integrated circuit consisting of both analog and digital components. All steps of IC design are covered, starting with the schematic design of the analog part and the VHDL modeling of the digital part, the simulation of the individual circuit parts and the overall system, the layout design of the mixed-signal IC and the generation of manufacturing data. Modern CAE tools which are widely used in the industry for the design of integrated circuits (Cadence Virtuoso, Synopsys, Mentor HDL Designer etc.) are used here as well.