Learning objectives / competencies
After successfully finishing the course,
- students are familar with the general structure and basic functionality of automation systems and its main application areas.
- students are able to distinguish between main types of industrial sensor and actuators (binary/analog, continuous/non-continuous)
- students know the different types of feedforward controllers and are able to design and implement themselfes logic operation functions, logic operation controls, and sequence controls according to DIN EN 61131-3 standards.
- students know the structure and basic functionality of programmable logic controllers (PLC) and distributed control systems (DCS) as well as the main application areas and technical realizations.
- students have basic knowledge in the area of intelligent point-to-point connections (HART-protocal and IO-Link), classical fieldbuses (in particular AS-interface and Profibus), as well ass ethernet-based networks and fieldbuses (Ethernet TCP/IP, EtherCAT, Profinet, SercosIII)
- students are familar with most frequently used industrial robots (joint-arm robot, SCARA-robot, gantry robot), its kinematics and functionality, and structure of the robot control unit.